Advantages of digital twin technologies to your business include:
• Increased reliability of equipment and production lines
• Improved OEE through reduced downtime and improved performance
• Improved efficiency
• Reduced risk in various areas including product availability, market reputation and more
• Reduce maintenance costs by predicting maintenance issues before failures occur
• Faster production times
• New business opportunities such as mass customization, mixed production, small batch production and more
• Improved customer service as customers can configure customized products remotely
• Improved product quality and an enhanced view of your products’ performance across multiple real-time applications and environments
• More efficient supply and distribution chains
• Improved profits
Digital twin technologies are available now and can bring the above benefits to your business in the short term as well as the medium and long term. Also, the use of digital twins is a growing trend.
In order to stay competitive, it’s time to start analyzing and applying this new and potentially disruptive technology.
First, the digital twin allows you to monitor a manufacturing component, asset, system or process in real time. This advanced monitoring capability provides a deeper understanding of what’s going on on your production lines and the wider production process.
With input from machine learning and expert engineers, you can also use the digital twin to identify problems before they occur and predict future outcomes. These estimates include results within the current parameters as well as results if those parameters change. Digital twin technology also supports other Industry 4.0 technologies by helping to improve OEE, reduce waste, improve lot changeover times, improve product quality, improve traceability, and more. It allows efficient design and development by connecting three-dimensional models with simulation and equipment control code emulation.
Additionally, having a digital twin provides virtual troubleshooting and support, removing the physical constraints that expert engineers have to be at your place. Technology can also underpin dynamic customer-interactive supply chains.
Remember, the above are just a few of the things you can achieve using digital twin technologies. There are also manufacturing process improvement benefits, product development benefits, distribution chain efficiency benefits, and more.